Sunday, April 3, 2011

On supervising...

Here's a post having nothing to do with my reading.  I usually enjoy being a supervisor.  I have great people under me, and they are usually wonderful to work with.  They are good at their jobs, and understand and respect my expectations of them.  Note to self - try your best to never supervise a friend if you can avoid it.  Especially if you know that friend is not a great supervisee.  I am stressing about one of my supervisees and the fact that they have a test due in June that they aren't ready to take.  They've told me, and told me that they'll be ready to test the next month and yet, no test taken yet.  This has been going on since December.  No pressure, since there are very serious ramifications of failing this test twice.  They are also in another course, which they currently see as more important than the test.  ARGH!  I have covered my bases by keeping my bosses in the loop on what's going on, but I still feel stressed about it.  The ball is in the supervisee's court, they have to deal with the consequences at this point.  I can only do so much to motivate and educate.  The final choice is not mine.  And do I REALLY want this next promotion?  I see this supervisee thing as a true test of my own supervising abilities.  Granted, I've really only been a supervisor for a little more than 2 years, and I supervise 2, soon to be 3 people.  It shouldn't be that difficult, right?  Why can't this one supervisee GET IT and get their crap together for themselves?

No comments: